Kelowna General Hospital
Kelowna General Hospital (KGH) is a tertiary referral hospital in Kelowna, British Columbia, managed by Interior Health and providing medical services throughout the Central Okanagan. Kelowna General Hospital is the only hospital in British Columbia that conducts angioplasty or heart surgery outside of the Lower Mainland or Vancouver Island. With almost 700 beds, it is one of Western Canada’s major hospitals.
Kelowna General Hospital first opened its doors on August 2, 1908, with 19 beds on land given by Kelowna Land & Orchard Company. This structure stood until 1940, when it was replaced by a modern hospital building. The five-story Strathcona Building was completed in 1969, while the five-story Royal Building was completed in 1992. The building of the new six-story Centennial Tower began in 2008, as part of a $800 million capital investment in health care for the Central and North Okanagan since 2007. It was completed on May 27, 2012.
Hospital expansion in 2007:
Kelowna General Hospital was permitted to expand in 2007 to suit the region’s growing population.
Various amenities are being upgraded and modernized.
Clinical Academic Campus Building, 34,000 square feet, associated with the University of British Columbia Medical School.
The Centennial Patient Care Tower, a six-story 187,000 square foot (17,400 m2) structure featuring a new rooftop helipad and a 30,000 square foot (2,800 m2) emergency department, is now complete.
East Pandosy Clinical Support Building, three-story, 84,470 square feet (7,848 m2)
The main floor of the Royal Building was transformed into a new Cardiac Catheterization Lab, which included the main lobby, the previous Emergency Department, the old Ambulatory Care Centre, and the Patient Registration area. In 2017, the improvements were completed.
Interior Heart and Surgical Centre:
In the summer of 2012, the 72-year-old Pandosy Building was destroyed to make room for a heart clinic. The facility opens to the public on September 28, 2015, after construction began in the summer of 2012. The fourth floor, which includes a new perinatal (maternity) unit, opened in March 2016.
The 139,590 square foot Interior Heart and Surgical Centre (IHSC) opened in mid-2015. For the first time, heart surgeries may now be performed in the interior of British Columbia, thanks to 15 operating rooms. It is the province’s sixth cardiac critical care facility.